Looking for a moving to Australia checklist? Moving away from everything you have ever known can seem daunting. I am sure you are here because you are moving to Australia from Ireland, the UK, the USA, NZ or elsewhere in the world, right? Well, you have come to the right place! I am Stephen Palmer, and I moved to Australia on a working holiday visa in 2013! Since then, a lot has changed, *cough cough covid*, but one thing that has not changed is my online communities. The most helpful thing I have heard from people who have moved to Australia is my Facebook groups!
So I created this page as a moving to Australia checklist. It covers all of my Facebook communities and everything you need to know before moving to Oz!
As one reader said to me in an email
I’ve learnt more in the past 10 minutes reading your blog than in two years of research for moving to Australia!
But before we get to everything, do yourself a favour and subscribe to the moving to Australia free email list. I will send everything you need so you don’t have to keep coming back here(not that I don’t want you to, of course. haha).
The page is broken down into three simple sections. You can skip to any section or read the whole lot up to you. 📖
- Facebook communities for moving to Australia – Very important!
- Articles on everything you need to know for moving to Australia – Also important
- Resources and savings on my trusted products and services – Important if you want to save money, but who doesn’t?
1. Facebook groups and communities:
An essential addition to your moving to Australia checklist. Join as many as you need!
I have an efficient team of moderators that will get you approved and in there ASAP.
- Irish Moving to Australia 2022
- Irish Around Sydney group
- Irish Around Melbourne group
- Irish Around Brisbane group
- Irish Around Darwin group
- Irish Around Adelaide group
- Moving to Australia group
- Irish People Living In Australia
- Irish Around Perth
- Irish Around The Gold Coast
- Irish Around The Sunshine Coast
- Irish Expats Returning To Ireland(for when you are leaving 😞)
My main page: Irish Around Oz; give me a like for updates
2, Articles on everything you need to know for moving to Australia
Also, if anyone tells you that Australia is not that big, this small picture puts everything into perspective!
- 60 Things you need to know before moving to Australia(my first article ever, but since updated over 50 times, haha)
- 100 Things you need to know before moving to Australia Sunset Travellers – not the same post but many similarities. This was written from a couple’s perspective and had a few extra tips.
- Money transfer guide – Don’t make the mistake of sending money to your bank. It is a rip-off!
- Best travel insurance for Australia – Even with a reciprocal health agreement, I recommend getting some travel insurance.
- My job board for Australia – There are typically a few posts every month, but worth checking in now and then.
- 15 mistakes you shouldn’t make on a working holiday visa
- 7 Visa options to stay in Australia longer – The time goes quick!
- 21 Things they don’t tell you when moving to Australia – Snakes!
- Perth to Melbourne ultimate road trip – This was a fun one!
- East coast of Australia travel guide – Gotta love the East coast!
They also have been used by thousands of other readers just like you.
3. Resources for moving to Australia:
- OFX – Hands down the best money transfer company for larger transfers >$5k; you get a dedicated broker and an exclusive rate with Irish Around Oz. Sign up here to also reserve free transfers for life!
- Currencyfair – These are used by everyone, including myself. They are a million times better than using your bank or PayPal to send money to Australia(or the other way round). Get ten free transfers with Currencyfair here.
- Wise(previously Transferwise) – Wise has some of the best exchange rates! I am always amazed when I compare the three, and for smaller transfers, Wise often comes in cheaper, even with the fee. Register here and get your first €500 transfer for free here with Wise.
Shipping to Australia?
Many people move to Australia on a working holiday, and some move their entire lives and families. Regardless of your scenario, I have you sorted.
- The small stuff – 2 – 3 bags. Send it home or to Australia in a few days door to door at 5% off send my bag here.
- The big stuff – Seven Seas Worldwide – Can pretty much ship everything you need from most of the world to Australia! Their move cube service is a fantastic way to get all of your belongings to Australia. You can get a massive 10% off with this link.
- Palmers relocations – They have been moving people’s belongings since 1980! So they certainly know what they are doing. Get $100 off their services here. Also, their customer care is next level!
Visas and Student visas:
Nothing makes me more confused than reading about Australian visas! I swear there are so many and so many variations that it is easy to get overwhelmed. But if you are moving to Australia, save yourself hours and hours of research and talk to my trusted experts!
- True blue migration: My Australian visa partners for many years now! Free visa assessment and $100 off with them here:
- Student visas: Study Destination: I can’t recommend Study Destination any higher! With their 99% visa approval, they are the best at what they do and will help you achieve your dream of studying, working, living, and travelling abroad! Get a free consultation here.
True Traveller – well worth getting some, and you can get it even if you are already travelling! Our reciprocal health agreement does not cover everything, including Bali, haha.
Outbacker travel insurance – Travel insurance specialists for anyone moving to Australia from the UK. Great cover and is very affordable. Plus, for anyone on a working holiday visa, a lot of stuff is covered as standard.
I will be adding more to this moving to Australia checklist page as time goes on. You can always email me at [email protected] with any suggestions, and I hope this helps make your move even easier.
All the best,