Skip to Content

Australian Student Visa Tax Advice FAQ – All You Need To Know

Ah go on, give it a share!

Are you an international student in Australia? If you’re working part-time you could be eligible to claim a tax refund.

Students working part-time in Australia pay on average 15.5% income tax on their earnings. can help you get all of this or part of it back.

They also provide tax refunds for students on a gap year in Australia.

No matter what job you are doing – fruit picking or bar work, there is every chance you could be due back a tax refund. If so, they are the right people to get your student tax back!

Who can claim an Australian tax refund?

Australian visa tax faq

Got questions about your Australian tax refund? You’ll probably find the answers below!

Do I have to pay tax on the income I earn in Australia?

Yes, you will have to pay tax on the income you earn while in Australia. The good news is that the majority of international students in Australia are entitled to claim a tax refund at the end of the year.

The average Australian tax refund a customer claims is $2,600. 

Do I need to file a tax return?

Yes. Anybody that works in Australia needs to file a return at the end of the financial year regardless of income earned. This obligation applies especially to international students who earned income in Australia. 

Many international students can be daunted by the prospect of filing a tax return.

But the good news is that, by filing your tax return, you can claim your tax refund!

You can also ensure that your tax affairs are in order and this will be important when applying for a future Australia visa.

When do I apply for my tax refund? 

The Australian financial year runs from 1 July until 30 June every year. 

The deadline to file your tax return and claim your tax back is 31 October.

But don’t worry too much if you miss the deadline, you can get extra time to file your return if you file with a tax agent like!

How do I lodge my tax return?

In order to file your tax return and claim your tax back you will need:

Your payslips – your final payslip from each job is the most important so keep it safe!

Work-related expenses – receipts for your Uniform, Work Courses, Tools/Equipment or Car/transport.

Self-education expenses – if you enrolled in a course to support your main activities at work or are required to undertake such to improve your skills and knowledge at your workplace, it’s a good idea to keep your statements, receipts or invoices as you may be able to use this as a deduction on your return.

You can file your tax return directly with the ATO.

However, the easiest way to get your tax back is to file with We’ll take care of all the paperwork, transfer your maximum refund straight to your bank account and keep you compliant with the ATO.

How long does it take to get the refund?

If you file your tax return online (after the end of the tax year), typically your refund will be processed in 7-10 days.

Who can help me with my Australian taxes?!

Our tax team will file your return for you and transfer your maximum international student tax refund straight to your bank account.

How do I get started?

Register your details HERE and a representative will call you and guide you through the process.

Why apply with

  • Your maximum refund guaranteed – average international student refund $2,600

  • Simple online process – no complicated forms

  • We transfer your refund straight to your bank account anywhere in the world

  • Personal approach – every single person who is using our services has a personal account manager assigned to look after their tax return. 


  • Clean tax record – you’ll be 100% compliant with the ATO


  • And best of all… service is no refund, no fee! There’s nothing to lose by checking how much you’re owed!


Ah go on, give it a share!