Irish Around Oz is approaching two years in business and below are some 21 things that we certainly weren’t told when we first came to Oz!
Sign up for my mailing list here.
Good luck with moving to Australia. Visit our free resources page
Australia is not always sunny and 30 degrees! In fact, it even gets really cold! Really really COLD!
- Australia doesn’t really look like Home and Away(well except for Palm beach)
- It’s cool to walk around shopping centers barefoot
- Whoever said you only need shorts, vests and flip-flops clearly hasn’t been to Melbourne in the winter!
- A suitcase is WAY more convenient than a backpack!
- Coffee in Australia is unreal!
- Australia is SO big. SO SO BIG! We still underestimate it.
- Expect to see a ton of thunderstorms, probably a LOT more that you will see in your lifetime in Ireland or anywhere in Europe
- You will find yourself saying “Yea Nah”, “No Worries” and a host of new phrases everyday and not be able to stop it.
- After a few months you will get extremely home sick. This will soon pass until around the 1 year mark or at Christmas time where you will probably get home sick again.
- In 2 years I haven’t seen a single Fosters drank anywhere in Australia!
- Australian roads and their signage are unreal! Even in the middle of Australia!
- At some stage you will be exposed to Goon, it’s basically a very cheap box of wine commonly associated with backpackers. Enjoy and good luck remembering the night!
- Every single thing in Australia can kill you but strangely you just get over it.
- Calling home is a disaster either you’re doing it late at night or early in the morning.
- If you like European sport of any kind you can look forward to either waking up a 2 am or watching it early morning with the time difference.
- You will probably get smacked in the head by an Asian with a selfie stick at any major tourist attraction.
- Everyone drinks on a Sunday! Its called a Sunday Session.
- Having a beer on Friday in your workplace is a common occurrence.
- There is a fecking big hole in the ozone layer right above Australia so it’s super easy to get burnt :sadface
- There is a McDonald’s(AKA Macca’s) everywhere! Burgerking is pretty much just called Hungry Jacks in Australia.
There is way way more! Leave some things that people didn’t tell you before moving to Australia below and we might put it together into a bigger article. Thanks for reading! Sláinte
P.S Don’t forget to join my mailing list and get your free resources page.