Here you can learn some new fun facts about Australia.
There are deadly spiders and snakes but also cute koalas and kangaroos.
You’ll find some of the most beautiful coral in the world here but also some of the most deadly jellyfish and sharks(loads of sharks!). It’s an interesting country.
Well, here are 30 interesting and funny facts about Australia
- Sharks are immune to all known diseases. Great!
- There are more than 150 million sheep in Australia, and only 24 million people.
- The Tasmanian Devil does exist, and it has the jaw strength of a crocodile.
- Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world
- The average person in Australia swallows three spiders a year.
- No part of Australia is more than 1000 km from the ocean and a beach.
Australia is a BIG country!
- Melbourne has the third largest Greek population in the world.
- Melbourne has the largest remaining tram public transport system in the world.
- The Great Barrier Reef is the largest organic construction on earth. Get there before its gone!
Kangaroo is Aboriginal for, “I don’t understand what you are saying.”This is actually incorrect according to a number of sources
- There are an estimated 40 million kangaroos in Australia. (Try eating Kangaroo it’s actually quite nice.)
- It has the highest rate of gambling in the world with over 80 per cent of Australian adults engaging in gambling of some kind and 20 per cent of the pokie machines in the world are found in Australia.
- The Great Barrier Reef has a mailbox. You can ferry out there and send a postcard, stamped with the only Great Barrier Reef stamp.
- In 1880, Melbourne was the richest city in the world.
- Over a trillion bottles of wine are produced in Australia every year.
- It used to be legal to hunt and kill Aborigines. (Crazy!)
- Sydney is the largest city in Australia with over 4.5 million people, Melbourne is a close second with 4 million. While the capital city of Australia Canberra only has around 300,000!
- The first Australian born governor-general was Jewish.
- If you visited one new beach in Australia every day, it would take over 27 years to see them all. Australia is home to the over 10,000 beaches!
- Every year there is at least one death to crocodiles
- Around a quarter of all Australians were born overseas.
Out of the top 25 deadliest snakes in the world, 20 are found in Australia. (Dose!)
- Surprisingly Australia is the most obese country in the world as of 2012 with a 26 per cent obesity rate despite being a sport-loving nation.
- Melbourne has the world’s largest Greek population outside of Athens. And some incredible Greek restaurants!
- Kangaroo meat can be purchased from the supermarket, butcher and available on restaurant menus as a leaner and healthier alternative to beef or lamb with a 1-2 per cent fat content.
- Be very careful about drop bears they can be deadly!
- 65% of Australians are overweight.
- The Box jellyfish has killed more people in Australia than stonefish, sharks and crocodiles combined.
- Australia is the 6th largest country in the world
Quite some crazy facts to subscribe to future weekly blog updates click here.
How many of these facts about Australia did you know?