Finding it difficult to find an employer to Sponsor you for a 457 visa? Have you thought about “Self Sponsorship?
What’s that you say? “Self Sponsorship” it is not exactly the correct term, but people use it to describe the following:-
A person owns a business and they use that business to sponsor them for a Subclass 457 Visa.
The reason this is allowed is that a company is a different entity to a person and even if the nominated person owns the company, it is the business that nominates him or her and NOT the business owner.
The upsides of having your own company are that you don’t need to depend on another business to nominate you and you can flex your entrepreneurial muscles to run your own show.
Our mates at Australia Here We Come tell us that they have many clients who have gone down the Self Sponsorship route and become very successful, employing many people. The success of this type of venture is the proper set up and running of your own business.
Both the business and the occupation the business nominates you for must be legitimate and genuine.
The business must be able to demonstrate that it is trading lawfully, and that money and contracts for works are flowing through the business.
Taxes must be paid, proper records kept and the training obligations that a 457 Business Sponsor is subject to must be met.
If “Self Sponsorship” appeals to you these are the steps you need to take:
1. If you don’t already have your own company you’ll need to set one up and get it trading properly.
2. If you have your own company you’ll need to check that the company structure is one that allows “self-sponsorship” and that it has been trading properly.
3. The business then must apply to become an Approved Sponsor and nominate you for a position within the business.
4. You need to then apply for a 457 visa.
5. All of these steps can happen concurrently. Even though the process sounds pretty straightforward, in reality there’s much more to it, with pitfalls galore for the uninitiated, particularly in establishing your company, ticking all the immigration boxes to become an approved sponsor and then convincing immigration that your position is “genuine”.
It’s definitely not something we recommend you do at home by yourself.
You need a migration team with experience and expertise in Self Sponsorship applications.
We recommend Australia Here We Come and grab 5% off professional fees with Irish Around Oz.
Click here enter your details and a consultant will be in touch. Thanks for reading!