Now the dust has settled let’s talk about all the recent visa changes and what it means for you, including the TSS visa.
Over the last year, there has been a massive overhaul of temporary work visa’s in Australia, with the abolishment of the 457 Visa and the introduction of its replacement; the new Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa (subclass 482).
What has changed?
No further 457 visas are being lodged, instead, there are now two visa streams under the new subclass 482 visa, (also known as the TSS visa)
- Short-term Skilled Occupation list (STSOL) this is a 2-year visa with an option to extend for one further onshore renewal and no pathway to permanent residency.
- Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) this is a 4 -year visa with options to renew and a pathway to permanent residency.
To determine what visa stream, you fall under will depend on your occupation and what list this is on at the time of lodgement.
The Department of Home Affairs will be reviewing the occupation listing every 6 months to ensure the ‘genuine’ skilled shortages are kept up to date.
You may see that occupations move between the STSOL and MLTSSL.
How can Geoffrey Nathan Consulting Inc help me?
Geoffrey Nathan Consulting Inc (GNC) is a well-established third-party management company.
Our services assist individuals who have secured a role, but the end user company is not able to sponsor directly.
GNC can provide third-party sponsorship and on-hire your services back to the end user company, this is available to eligible candidates.
All employment and sponsorship obligations fall to GNC whilst we hold the sponsorship of the visa.
There is a list of requirements the candidate must fulfil in order to be eligible for Third Party Sponsorship.
This type of arrangement is also a way for end-user companies to employ overseas workers to assist with skill shortages.
Q. I am currently on a 457 visa but would like to change employers, can I still do this?
A. Whilst you hold a valid 457 visa and you are looking to change employer, you can do so by lodging a Nomination transfer.
If the end user company is unable to sponsor you directly Geoffrey Nathan Consulting Inc can assist with a Nomination Transfer for supply and on-hire back to the end user company.
Q. My 457 Visa is due to expire, is it beneficial for me to use Geoffrey Nathan Consulting Inc’s third-party company for sponsorship since the changes came into effect?
A. You may look to use the services of Geoffrey Nathan Consulting Inc to lodge for a new 482 visa providing you meet all the requirements set out by the Department of Home Affairs.
Yes, when being sponsored by Geoffrey Nathan Consulting Inc, one of the benefits of using our services to hold your visa is having the flexibility to change the end user company you work for whilst still sponsored by Geoffrey Nathan Consulting Inc.
With the new 482 TSS visa any change in employer means a new visa must be applied for.
As a limit exists of only two Subclass 482 Visa’s for all occupations on the STSOL, with GNC as your sponsor/employer any change to the end user company does NOT require a whole new visa to be applied for.
This ultimately increases the flexibility of your career opportunities by utilizing the two Subclass 482 visas’ available to you more effectively.
What are the new requirements to ensure I am eligible for a TSS visa?
- Labour Market Testing is now mandatory for all visa lodgements
- Must meet Market Salary levels for sponsored occupations.
- TSS visa applicants must have over 5 years’ experience or a relevant degree with 2 years’ experience
- Must meet any caveats listed for the occupation you fall within
- GNC require a full time/permanent job offer or a contract with a minimum 6 Month contract secured
- Your occupation must be listed on our Labour Agreement and be on the current sponsored occupation listing
- Your salary needs to be a minimum of $ 80,000 inclusive of Superannuation, but also meet the Market Salary levels for your occupation
Q: How can I contact Geoffrey Nathan Consulting Inc?