Some interesting facts about Ireland!
Even thought the majority of us are in Australia, we wanted to write a little article about some interesting facts about Ireland!
Some of these are quite interesting! Looking for some more entertainment? Check out Funny Irish Stuff! :)
- There are more mobile phones in Ireland than there are people.
- The longest place name in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia. Translated it means “marsh pig between two lakes with salt water.”
- There are nearly 8 times more Polish speakers in Ireland than Gaelic speakers.
- The average Irish consumes 131.1 liters per year. The second highest per-capita consumption in the world, behind Czech
- Ireland is the only country in the EU where abortion is still illegal
- Ireland’s most famous musical export is U2.
- Irishman John Tyndall was the first scientist to ever be specifically referred to as a physicis.
- Ireland joined the European Community in 1973.
- One of the most popular radio shows in rural Ireland is still the weekly broadcast of local obituaries.
- Ireland has won seven times the Eurovision Song Contest (in 1970, 1980, 1987, 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1996), more than any other country.
- There are more Irish people living outside of Ireland than in.(Yea we knew this one!)
Got any others you would like to add? Just comment below! :)