A man convicted of unlawfully killing an Irishman in a one-punch attack outside a Perth kebab shop has successfully appealed the length of his sentence.
Thomas (23) died in Perth in 2013. He died ten days after he was hit once on the back of the head by Abbas Al Jrood, an off-duty bouncer, during a row over a chair.
The incident happened in the early hours of December 17, 2013, causing him to fall and hit his head on the pavement.
The 23-year-old had been in Australia for 13 months, and had just received his second Working Holiday Visa when he was attacked by Al Jrood.
Al Jrood had pleaded not guilty but was convicted by a jury in May
In the West Australian Court of Appeal today, Al Jrood’s sentence was reduced from nine years to seven years and he remains eligible for parole.
Speaking after the original trial, Thomas’s sister, Lauren, said they did not want any other family to go through their pain.
“The coward’s punch has shattered our lives and we ask everyone to realise the risk in partaking in such actions. We would never want anyone to go through this type of loss.
“Thomas was a great man, he had seen a future for himself here in Australia and it was just an unjustifiable end to such a person.
“This coward’s punch has got to stop. The effects of it doesn’t just affect one family, it affects two. It tears us apart. It is such a senseless act and I’m sure it has devastating affects on the Al Jrood family as well,” she said.
News via Independent.ie