Guide To Getting A Working Holiday Visa In Australia

(Last Updated On: January 18, 2016)

It is officially Australian visa month here on Irish Around Oz!

For the month of January, we will be covering every type of Australian visa. Starting with the working holiday visa! 

It is part of our new free Australian Visa Course, which hundreds of you have already taken advantage of.

The purpose of these articles will be to give you a run down of each visa type so that you can make the best decision either before coming or once you have arrived and want to progress to a new visa type.

Guide To Getting A Working Holiday Visa In AustraliaThis is probably one of the most popular types of Australian visas. Certainly one of the quickest to process.
  • If you are under 31, have an Irish and or one of the passports listed below and haven’t had a Working Holiday visa before you can be on your way to Australia in no time.
  • You can travel around and work away for a year, as long as you don’t work for the one employer for more than six months.
  • This visa is not an option if you have dependent children, unless you leave the children at home with your partner/spouse while you come over on the Working Holiday visa and look for an employer to sponsor you. Then your partner and kids can join you.
  • A working holiday visa allows young people(under 31) to have an extended holiday and work in Australia and you’re allowed a maximum of two Working Holiday visas.
  • The first working holiday visa lasts for a year and if you do three months or 88 days of regional work during the period of the first visa.
  • You will be eligible for a second working holiday visa, provided you meet the other requirements and remain under 31 years of age.
  • We also have a very comprehensive regional work guide here.


Am I eligible for a Working Holiday Visa?

To be eligible for your first working holiday visa you must:-

  • Be over 18 yrs of age but not yet 31 at the time of application.
  • Have an eligible passport and be a national of:
    • UK & Northern Ireland
    • Ireland
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Denmark
    • Finland
    • France
    • Italy
    • Norway
    • Sweden
    • The Netherlands
    • Estonia
    • Germany
    • Japan
    • Malta

Always consult the official Australian government website before making any application.

Some other important points on the Australian working holiday visa: 

  • You have enough money to support your stay in Australia;
  • You don’t have any serious criminal convictions
  • You don’t have any serious medical issues.
  • Your passport is valid for at least one year after filling the Australian Working Holiday Visa application;
  • You can re-enter the country as many times as you like
  • The duration of the Australian Working Holiday Visa is 12 months, starting at the moment you land in Australia.
  • You can do the working holiday visa yourself or go through a registered migration agent. We recommend Australia Here We Come.
  • The price of the working holiday visa varies but using the calculator it comes to around €300.
  • If you are using a migration agent factor in their costs as well.
  • Also worth reading our first post on 60+ things you need to know before moving to Australia.
  • Things like tax file number, bank accounts, sim cards and other services can all easily be obtained when you arrive in Australia.
  • It is also highly advisable to get some form of travel insurance before you arrive. We recommend GoInsurance and have 10% off as an Irish Around Oz reader.
  • When you do arrive in Australia please don’t do bank to bank transfers, read our money transfer guide and save yourself some money.
  • Lastly, it is advisable to get some sort of Car Insurance if you do decide to drive. Rego does  only cover your vehicle for third party. It doesn’t cover any other costs like repair, to your own vehicle. Youi give good full comprehensive insurance.

Some flight companies do offer all in one packages including sim card, bank etc and these are fine but it is quite easy to do it yourself or as we mentioned go through a registered migration agent in Australia, such as Australia Here We Come.


If you are thinking about getting sponsored in Australia. Then our guide to getting sponsored covers a lot of information that you need to know.

If you do want to get access to our free 10 day online Australia visa course you can register here.

Related Posts