Yes this is actually a real thing! We were even amazed ourselves when we had not heard about it.
What we are referring to is campervan relocations. One of our team members is planning a trip up the East Coast of Australia and has been doing a bit of research into exactly how this works and more importantly how you can take advantage of this amazing service.
Many of you are probably saying where is the catch and why is it so cheap?
The camper companies have two options to relocate a camper:
- Employ someone to drive the camper for them
- Find a traveller or backpacker who wants to drive the camper for them
Obviously the second option is cheaper, which is why the camper company is willing to give you the camper for $1 per day. So you get a camper and they get a driver.
Well like any good deal there is some terms, however once you are aware of them it’s very easy to use the service.
There is a few companies around however we got in touch with Coseats to find out more about this service and exactly what the “terms” are.
At first we were as skeptical as you, how can I possibly rent a campervan for $1 a day!?
So here is what you need to know:
- Most campervan relocations come online at 9AM in the morning
- They cost $1 – $5 per day
- There is a bond of $1000 required on pick up, this bond is returned to you on deliver
- Additionally there is a deposit of $75 – $250 depending on campervan company required prior to pickup(this is to ensure that the person actually turns up on the day!). This is refunded on pickup!
- So in the end you only pay $1 – $5 per day for a campervan and some offers include some or all petrol. Crazy!
So that is some of the main terms as you can see they are not as bad as we first imagined. The biggest thing for most will be the $1000 deposit but in retrospect its not bad at all.
Some other important things to know about campervan relocations:
- The number of days vary from location to location typically with a minimum of 3 days – 20+ days.
- Some examples of routes are Broome – Darwin, Melbourne – Brisbane, Sydney – Melbourne. The list goes on and on, check out the current list here.
- It’s also true that you can get a top of the range model or a basic model it just depends what campervan needs to be relocated. See images below :)
- What about insurance? All campervans are insured. However a $1000 bond needs to be paid by CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD(has to be Visa or Mastercard!)when you pick up the vehicle.
- There is a deadline typically because someone has booked that campervan or it needs to be at the depot at that time.
- However with certain deals you can extend the number of days! The first few days are at the cheaper rate i.e $1 Each additional day you book for $75 or more includes an extra 250km.
You can read the full list of FAQ’s here
As if that wasn’t all they also have a fantastic lift service and text service. As you can imagine we are not the first people to discover this campervan relocation service and i’m sure we won’t be the last.
Coseats have a great text service, simply input your name + number and when you are looking to take up a campervan. Everyday at 9 am they send you a text letting you know if it is available. We have personal used this service and found it great(haven’t got an available campervan yet though)
Hope you found this useful! We Googled and Googled everything about campervan relocations and couldn’t really find any guide or exact info on the topic everything was a little vague! However I hope you manage to get a campervan for $1 a day!
Update we managed to complete a campervan relocation from Sydney to Darwin.